Thursday, October 03, 2013

More Cocteau's Cat Inspiration

I have been busy making linocuts of late. Here is another new one , inspired by jean Cocteau's cat at Chapelle Saint Blaise des Simple. Jean Cocteau said of cats  "I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul."

I guess the same could be said for my cat Mitsou. So here is my new linocut- Cocteau's cat. I have added in the foliage because it reminded me of the lovely herb garden that had been established at Chapelle Saint Blaise des Simple, and also of the herbs that Cocteau painted all over the walls of the chapel.I have just looked at the website devoted to the chapel and realised it has been 50 years since the death of Jean Coteau and that there are celebrations inspired by the works of Cocteau. Of course, if you are in France a visit to Milly la Foret is well worth while  for the little chapel, the museum in Cocteau's house and the lovely gardens around it and the wonderful old covered  market building in the centre of the town.




 These panels are for sale for $15 plus $2.60 for postage and measure approximately 12 inches square. The panel below I have transfer printed onto heavy weight polyester non-woven and then stitched by hand without any batting or backing. I am thinking this may become a page of a book.



And below is a not very good photo of my Traversing the Land- which travelled for nearly 2 years with Brenda Gael Smith's  Beneath the Southern Sky which went to many corners of the world. It's lovely to see it back after all this time. It measures 40 cm wide by 100 cm long and has been made from hand dyed khadi cloth and has been embroidered and hand stitched. I am  offering it for sale at a once only price ( available until this coming Sunday) of $1200AUS ! The colour is much warmer than is showing on the photos.


1 comment:

Laurel said...

I love these. So pretty. You're quite creative.