Thursday, November 03, 2011

Travellers' Blanket On-line Class



I have decided to run another on-line  Travellers' Blanket class over summer/northern winter- as a lot of people like to have something to stitch on over the Christmas period .The cost of the workshop will be $50AUS and will cover a 4 month period with access to a group for discussion and sharing work and stories!


This is the description:This class explores hand stitching and creating fragments of memory. It is inspired by the idea of the silk road and the great travellers ,like Marco Polo who travelled the road in order to source silk, eastern spices and other treasure. If you travelled that road and you could not write but wanted to keep memories of the  fabrics and silks you encountered, and wanted to remember the patterns and stitches and wanted to keep warm at the same time- what better way then to sew fragments onto a blanket- a visual aide de memoire. The texture is created with simple running stitch and the embroidery  on the fragments of fabric likewise employ simple stitches. This piece is about the rhythm of the stitching and to create decorative effects.
The layers have been created using hand dyed muslin and flannel- this gives the piece a lovely drape
We will spend the first session dyeing the muslin and flannel which is utilised in this piece. The muslin has been dyed ,using a shibori  technique in order to create the underlying grid . Then the stitching will begin!All other fabrics are scraps left over from  various projects.
If you are interested please email me.

I have finished another ochre sentinelle- - just need to finish the hand stitching.She replaces the ochre sentinelle I sold back in July in France. The catalogue is coming along, but a word document I worked on last week somehow did not get saved and today i felt so devoid of words that  I just about gave up thinking I can make this catalogue. It is not that it needs lots of words, but I had written some extra explanatory things and can't for the life of  me remember what i wrote- so I will have to try and dream it tonight! And yesterday i printed a terracotta sentinelle- and earth one was needed plus I intend to use the stencil I have been using to create a sort of lace sentinelle and after my last lot of stencilling she was the wrong colour, so the only solution was to print another so that the stencil would  end up the right colour.

I had promised myself to make 12 larger quilts this year ( by larger I mean more than a metre either in width or height)- and look like actually getting to that goal and perhaps one better - i didn't think i would get there since I decided to study this semester. But sometimes you simply just have to do it. The last years I don't seem to have made as much work as I used to- so I feel like I underachieved- so it feels good to have met a target finally.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I would love to do your travellers workshop, my computer want let me use your email link, do you have another link I could use.
Thanks Lynda.

Dijanne Cevaal said...

Hi Lynda
Just use my name and the gmail thing and that will find me! I can't reply to you as you are anonymous :-)

Joyce Matula Welch said...

I felt your pain when I read this post. I believe that what is most important will surface in our brains again, even when our computers loose what we have written. I also felt your joy because you met your target. :)

Gill said...

I love the idea of doing one of these - workshops anywhere???? How about Deloraine in Tasmania - I could get Arts Deloraine to tee it up??? Let me know if you are interested?

Dijanne Cevaal said...

Hi Gill
I have tried to reply to you but can't. Yes I would be interested in coming to Deloraine.

qwe said...

https://sxzengbo.com/product-category/shower-curtain/
ZENGBO is a top manufacturer with 10 years experience in digital printing flannel blankets. Design, size, weight, quantity can be ordered. We have a good price and quality advantage, because we have our own knitting, printing, home textile factory strict QC team.

Anji Mandavia said...

Your work is so beautiful! I hope I can still sign up for your class -- what an inspiration!

Dale Thompson said...

Thermal blankets, also known as emergency blankets or space blankets, are lightweight, highly reflective sheets designed to retain body heat and provide insulation in various situations. Typically made from a thin, metallic-coated polyester film, thermal blankets are widely used in outdoor activities, emergency kits, and survival situations.