Thursday, October 25, 2007

Some things from my Trip



The first photo is of a piece of Kuba cloth which scomes from the Congo. I bought it at Val d'Argent.It is a technique peculiar to the Kuna people , and I have not heard of any other people working with this particular technique. The ground fabric is woven from raffia and then embroidered with raffia- the embroidery is then cut to create the chenille effect. I love the slight irregularity of the shapes which gives it a certain motion. I was very happy to get a piece of Kuba as slowly I am building up a small collection of all sorts of indigenous textiles.

the se=cond piece is some fabric I dyed the day I met with Laura and Annette Jeukens. I couldn't take it with me at the time as it was still wet but Laura kindly sent it to me. It is painted with Trapsuutjies opaque textile paints and fabric liners( copper is the colour I used) I really like this piece of cloth but have not decided what i shall do with it. Oh and btw Trapsuutjies website is now also in English ( and hopefully soon in French as well)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the kuba is beautiful, i have one also but is actually patched together in squares and measures almost 12 feet in length, it is such a curios technique and the designs are amazing. thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

na je lessen in herentals ben ik aan de slag gegaan met de verf van trapsuutjes.Ondertussen op beurzen al veel kleuren bijgekocht.Wil je nog bedanken ,voor mij is er een mooie wereld van kleur bij open gegaan.Zie er naar uit in januarie
Vele dankbare groeten

Karoda said...

Oh Kuba cloth and bogolanfini and Adire cloth are my favorite African textiles!!!!!!!! I did some coffee and tea dyeing with the hopes of replicating some Kuba like designs. I love this piece!