Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Hand Painting Fabric


Hand Painted fabric

I tried painting this fabric with the textile inks that I normally use which are manaufactured in Australia. I was tickled that it worked, but the Trapsuutjies paint gives a superior result- the transparency of the paint and the fluidity of the paint seem to be factors in this. I also used a limited colour palette of blue, turquoise and purple and the paint wasn't quite dry when I photographed it (had a bit of a slack day after the quilting effort of the previous two days, but in the ehdn still did something), so I don't know what the hand of the fabric will be like. With the Trapsuutjies paint you heat set by placing the fabric in the oven for 15 minutes, but twith the textile ink I use normally you heat set with an iron- so I will have to test this out. The technique I am using is called African Painting and is taught by Irene van der Wolf in the Netherlands . She also uses latex in some of her work with interesting effectsPosted by Picasa

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous piece of fabric. I love the color palette.

Pat Dolan said...

Wow! I'd love to see how you work this up into a quilt!
Pat in NJ

Unknown said...

I propose this site to my companions so it could be helpful & useful for them likewise Great exertion.
DIN Abrasion Tester

Kim said...

Textile testing equipment may help us to know textile quality. Find textile testing machine here

Grace Stefan said...

Thanks for sharing.I found a lot of interesting information here. A really very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one. Worldwide B2B Marketplace